Bali has its own language but most Balinese speak Indonesian and often also some English.
Invariably the local people and traders are helpful and eager to please and respond to a smile and friendly warmth from their visitors.
Menus will always have the translation in English.
However, some key phrases which are useful are
- Good Morning : Selamat Pagi
- Good Afternoon : Selamat Sore
- Good Evening : Selamat malam
- Thank you : Terimah kasih
- How are you ?: Apa kabar?
- No : Tidak
- Maybe tomorrow : Mungkin Besokh [Best reply to endless offers of taxis, sarongs etc!]
- Balinese Fried rice : Nasi Goreng
- Balinese noodles : Mee Goreng
- Taxi / Transport : Taxi …. [ bikes are very popular but think safe and choose Taxi!]
- Where is Tourist Information? : Dimana Kantor Turis Informasi ….