For the last few years, myself and Maria Sangiorgi have hosted a Sacred Dance Retreat in the beautiful island of Bali.
Our retreats brought together three things which we love and have found to be of value in our own Sacred dancing journey and which we warmly celebrated on Mount Batukaru at the Bali Mountain Retreat.
- To dance in a Sacred way is to enter into a communion of heart, mind, body and soul
- To retreat invites a safe inner space for contemplation, revelation, transformation and illumination
- To be in Bali, is to enter a place of beauty which is honoured and Blessed in the Sacred traditions of that culture.
As we gathered, so we danced and so we formed a Sacred Circle for our days together and beyond. Through this we had pledged a safe and confidential “container” for our dance retreat journey. Journalling the inner dance was an ongoing part of each day.
- Each day we started with a circle of Sacred Body Blessings, Mantras and Movement Rituals
- After a delicious breakfast we began to explore and enjoy the different facets of Sacred Dance and our own selves
- Daily Dance sessions
- I offered the Dance of the Breath, the Dance of the hands and feet, the Dance of Silence and Stillness, Circle and Veil dancing as well as creative choreography for personal Sacred Dance
- Maria offered Embodied Dance, dancing the Sacred Spiral which connects us all as well as Circle dances and a wealth of experience in Movement therapy and choreography.
- Lunch was prepared for us and afterwards there was time for quiet reflection, meditation or art journalling.
- In the afternoons everyone had time to work on their own “Sacred Soul dance” in line with the poem, story, prayer, song or piece of music which they had brought along from home. Maria and I were available for guidance and assistance at all times
- We also created time for all participants to share their gifts in Sacred dance and movement if they wished
- Art journalling
- A visit to the Temple and Priestess Blessing on full moon day, a time of Sacred celebration in Bali
- The Local dance and music group and the Fire ceremony to Saraswati
- Massage was organised by appointment, and Cooking or make a Blessing classes were woven into the week’s schedule
- Our Closing Dance Ceremony brought together our precious dance experience including the Spiral dance and other selected pieces before we departed for Ubud or further afield.